Tuesday, June 25, 2013

I have been having a real problem with coffee lately…

…I’ve had this book for at least 7 years but failed to take the time to sit and read it, I’ve basically flipped through its pages finding snippets of information.  Tonight I started reading the chapter on Guilt as Social Drama.  While reading page 166 I was reminded of the film Night Stalker in which Stanwick’s character is being pursued by a stranger and after falling asleep in the back of a salon she owns, she has an encounter we are lead to think is a dream state and the camera focuses on the clock beside her bed which says 12:00AM.  She awakens to find herself as she was when she went to sleep and thinks she was dreaming.   She gets up and has a cup of coffee.  I happened to notice the time when I when I went online to find the film clip and it said it was 12:08AM.  The point is not the clock but what I think is some guilt associated with coffee.  Immediately this film came to mind and on previous pages in this chapter I recognize issues addressed in the film Losing Chase - “what’s this up and down”.

I also noticed I had been writing like this author Burke but care little for his style.  In Dostoyevsky’s Notes from the Underground one also finds the mental suggestion that one’s liver is diseased.  I have also been consuming more than the casual coke which contains high fructose corn syrup and is said to affect the liver, while my brother in law is mixing a good amount of liquor in his coke.  In the 9th chapter authored by Roger W. Smith, he states, “the citizen in modern Society, laboring according to Freud, under a heavy burden of unconscious guilt, does not recognize it; he only feels a sort of uneasiness of discontent for which other motivations are sought”.  This is clearly the situation in my case and is true for the average citizen today.  He is often unconscious or loses consciousness of that which is driving his behavior.

imageimage