Sunday, December 30, 2012

Re: Dianetics, “narcosynthesis”, psycholinguistics and neurolinguistics…

Kay's Psycho-neurolinguistic Programming: Dangers in Dianetics…update 5

In the film the woman in green, Lydia, uses both suggestions to gain control of the mind of Sherlock Holmes.  Unfortunately we are deceived by Holmes’ seemingly swift analysis of the situation claiming to have taken something to counter the effects of the drug.  In reality the sedative would impede Holmes’ ability to process the hypnotic suggestion via his brain.  Would it stop his mind from latching onto the suggestion?   The drug Holmes claimed he ingested to prevent his brain from processing the information (likely something like caffeine) would have accelerated the processing of the information via his brain.  In reality Holmes connected with Moriarty so the suggestion would be sent to Moriarty as well and when he arrived on the scene, Holmes was able to dissociate and project it back to Moriarty so Moriarty would fall victim to his own scheme.   The sedative Lydia gave him, intending to enhance the hypnotic suggestion, actually protected Holmes’ brain from processing the information.

More specifically, the sedative blocked his short-term processing.  What about his long-term processing?   If short term processing is inhibited, is long term processing inhibited as well?  I would think so.  Taurine inhibits long term memory which is restored after its use is stopped, depending on the length of time it is used.  Taurine does not stop short memory.   The brain can process information but it is inhibited from storing that information while on Taurine.   Taurine may cause a permanent loss of memory, depending on how long you take it, so it seems.  It remains in the body longer and may cause the synapses to lose their connections, thus those memories can be lost. 

I was trying to think through reasons why I was unable to draw the above conclusions when I viewed the film and made all of the subsequent findings regarding NLP.  The only explanation I could come up with is the lack of facial expression.  I think facial expression is an integral part of how we store memories, based on my personal experiences.  During dinner, after my father tried to discipline me with his belt,  he sat down in front of me at the table and had the most evil look on his face I had ever seen.  I never forgot it and can still see it.  So there are numerous nuances of activity that go into creating memory.  Since going through my memories of the things I viewed on TV I noticed I was always paying rapt attention to the faces and facial expressions of the actors and actresses I watched on TV.