Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I think this was part of what was going on when I took the philosophy and psychology courses in 1990…

The Sophists taught aretē (Greek: ἀρετή, quality, excellence) as the highest value, and the determinant of one's actions in life. The Sophists taught artistic quality in oratory (motivation via speech) as a manner of demonstrating one's aretē. Oratory was taught as an art form, used to please and to influence other people via excellent speech; nonetheless, the Sophists taught the pupil to seek aretē in all endeavours, not solely in oratory.[citation needed]

Dialectic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think this person was learning oratory.  I did view the film with Montgomery Clift and this may be the origins of it and may be the real cause of the accident I had.