Wednesday, June 5, 2013

It may be this part of this film that generated thoughts about scalding the mouth, tongue and throat…

…people do often think clearly about what is being intimated in a film.  The viewer may not have voiced his or her thoughts about what they saw going on.  This was then passed onto others like me who then acted out their thoughts.  This is likely how I came to find the film and is in keeping with what Dr. Joseph Murphy mentions in his book The Power of the Subconscious Mind.  The director seems to romanticize a sadistic act on the part of Max serves Lucia piping hot coffee.  It took only 15 seconds for him to move from the table to her bedside.  It would be impossible for the coffee to cool in that amount of time.  “He’s scalded her mouth”. The only other explanation for Lucia’s lack of response would be that she chose not to respond and then attempts to quell his cruelty by seducing him, triggering her memories of her imprisonment and sexual violations and so the cycle begins again.

I didn’t know about the film when I drew the praying mantis image in 1992, and had consumed many products since then that were scalding hot.  During the time I was homeless and living in my car, I even purchased a cup of hot water and dumped chili powder in it.

image image  Mantis 3