Tuesday, October 8, 2013

My uncle constructed a table that looked like a wagon wheel…

…my father was a mason and received his masonic certificate which I have in my possession.  I used to listen to Grand Funk Railroad musical group.  I met Sima while living at Camelot. 

Likely it was that Kim met someone at the jewelry store in Simia.  I think the Great Game is something contrived from the chess game which I was in the midst of uncovering when I got distracted.   Masonic certificate around the neck should be his vestaments. 

Kim befriends an aged Tibetan Lama who is on a quest to free himself from the Wheel of Things by finding the legendary 'River of the Arrow'. Kim becomes his chela, or disciple, and accompanies him on his journey. On the way, Kim incidentally learns about parts of the Great Game and is recruited by Mahbub Ali to carry a message to the head of British intelligence in Umballa. Kim's trip with the lama along the Grand Trunk Road is the first great adventure in the novel.

By chance, Kim's father's regimental chaplain identifies Kim by his Masonic certificate, which he wears around his neck, and Kim is forcibly separated from the lama. The lama insists that Kim should comply with the chaplain's plan because he believes it is in Kim's best interests, and the boy is sent to a top English school in Lucknow. The lama funds Kim's education. Throughout his years at school, Kim remains in contact with the holy man he has come to love. Kim also retains contact with his secret service connections and is trained in espionage (to be a surveyor) while on vacation from school by Lurgan Sahib, at his jewellery shop in Simla.

Kim (novel) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia