Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Acting out isn’t a cure according to Freud…

Freud and many other analysts saw that this wasn’t true because, if it were true, then the people who act out most their irrationality would be the healthiest ones because they would get the stuff out of their system—and they don’t.

Page(s): 27, The Art of Listening by Erich Fromm, Open Road Media.  NOOK Study (Kay F. Gibbs, kayfgibbs@msn.com). This material is protected by copyright.

…but once something is acted out it is over as long as the mental content is cleared.  Freud is right and Skinner was clear about it, the content of the mind dictates behavior.  Skinner offered a solution to extinguishing behavior.  In thinking through this I have come up with a much less harmful means of managing this without cramming hoards of music and noise into someone’s mind.  I have discovered this approach is clearing specific to a certain species rather than man as a whole and can be extremely harmful.

I do recognize I have lost the gentleness and caring I once had because of some of the things I viewed on television, in essence I have been regressed by the machine rather than advanced.  The Three Stooges is foremost in my mind and how it created violent behavior.  We do not teach our children this at home why do it with films.  Of course if one is going to become a soldier, then one would benefit from violence and aggression.

I am honestly very angry, hurt and disappointed in what it has done to my mind, more so that my consciousness regarding it’s use took 50 years to cultivate which didn’t all come from films.