Sunday, July 12, 2015

Flight of the Phoenix, The (1965) Movie Script | SS

Camel's lame.
That's why they left it, it's lame.
Give me the...
He's dead, isn't he?
Mr. Towns and
I will be in the fuselage itself.
The heaviest men will need to be
inboard...
...the lighter men outside.
They'll lie flat...
...holding onto the ribs
of the windscreen.
We testing this engine today?
Mr. Dorfmann,
it's time we tested this engine.
- I think you can leave things to me.
- No, wait. Wait a minute.
I'm not forgetting you're the designer,
but if you want me to fly this thing...
This thing. This thing has a name.
- It's called an aeroplane.
- All right, it's an aeroplane.
I'd have a lot more respect for it
if I knew the engine worked.
The engine was running perfectly...
...until the sand blocked
the carburetor jets in flight.
There is no reason why
it shouldn't run as it did before.
Unless you haven't cleaned the jets
properly...
...in which case I'd advise you
to do it again.
Now listen, those sand screens are clear.
I've checked everything
under that cowling pretty thoroughly.
And if I'm to fly this machine
I'm gonna test run that engine today.
If we'd start this engine now...
...the vibration will put unnecessary
strain on the whole structure.
Furthermore, there are only
seven cartridges in the Coffman starter.
It could take four or five
to start the engine...
...leaving us only with two or three
when we are ready to depart.
I imagine even you will understand that
once we have used all seven cartridges...
...we have no further means
of starting this engine.
Any doubt about starting this engine,
now is the time to find out.
Mr. Towns.
You behave as if stupidity were a virtue.
Why is that?
Lew, I'm gonna run up this engine.
A couple of you guys come up
and pull this prop through.
And that's an order.
No, you're not!
There's no point in going over it
all again.
Look, I've got them working
on the fairings...
...but we need you
for the control groupings.
There's nothing down on paper.
It's all in your head.
I'd hate to spoil the job
after all the work you've put in.
I know it's difficult for you
to get on with Frank Towns.
But you've got to understand.
He need...
He needs to feel he's doing something.
You don't leave him anything.
Do you want yours n-now?
Uh-huh.
- You ought to come in, it's freezing out.
- Yeah.
Well, now I've really balled things up,
haven't I?
- Dorfmann?
- Yeah. I've been thinking about this.
And I guess old Frank Towns just never
could stand being told what to do.
That's all there is to it.
You know, funny thing.
He was right about the engine too.
I guess I just wanted to make a point.
That's what really gets you about him,
he...
He always has to be right.
- You coming in?
- In a few minutes.
What else do you want me to say?
Nothing.
Leave me alone.
Tomorrow's the last day.
Then there'll only be what we get
from the still.
And that's not enough
to keep us all going.
Do you want them to fight over
the water? Is that what you want?
If we don't go back to work
we're going to die. All of us.
- Yes.
- Well, for God's sake, man...
- ...you're not a child, are you?
- Go away.
You told Towns he was behaving
as if stupidity was a virtue.
If he's making it into a virtue,
you're making it into a bloody science!
Ah, uh...
Lord Muck's woke up.

Flight of the Phoenix, The (1965) Movie Script | SS