Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Fat set point theory - the problem with this theory, Kay thinks is this…

Don't Count Calories to Lose Weight: The Body Fat Set Point Theory | Breaking Muscle

…high caloric intake, higher ATP.  Fat produces more ATP thus, more adenosine than carbohydrates.  More adenosine, less appetite.  Adenosine acts as a neuroinhibitory transmitter, modulating other brain neurotransmitters.  Get too much and its like taking a lot of valium or being on a lot of psychotropics.  The brain simply will not respond to the need to eat until the adenosine is lower.  Therefore, lots of ATP will not help one get thinner by burning more fat, it can cause one to starve.  More ATP will also raise the body temperature and that can cause proteins to unfold, also causing a fatter bloated appearance.   Proper metabolism works in harmony with the body so that you are burning and not storing food as fat.  This is the purpose in the caloric intake theory.  Decide what I want to weigh, figure out my energy expenditure and then calculate how many calories I need to take in to stay slim but healthy.  If I was once energetic but now I am lethargic and sedentary, I may not be eating the right amount of calories for my needs.  If I am now more sedentary but am heavy, then I need to lower my caloric intake until I lose the weight I want to lose, without compromising my health.

Some people are using the higher caloric intake to manage mental problems such as too much noise from too much music or a noisy job or too much television.  This works but it puts one’s health at risk.  Everything in moderation.