Friday, August 2, 2013

Maybe the real Haywood actually lived on Jones Street which runs into Heywood…

…see bottom image.  I stayed on Jones Street overnight one night while homeless, then found myself at the VA Hospital in Durham, NC.  I am not sure if the song contributed to this problem or if it is real.  Before I ever left home to go to college, and definitely years before I went to Medford, MA, the local minister of our church was Haywood Martin, a short man who smoked cigarettes.  He reminded me of Basil Rathbone.  During the overnight stay on Jones Street, the person I who put me up put roach powder in my glass of water.  I saw it on the top of the water.  This was in 1993-94.

I don’t know when Carole King wrote the song about Haywood but I thought it was about an alcoholic from New York since she was from Brooklyn.

image

I recognized the railing on the top story of this duplex.  I also found it in Denton.

image

Haughton Green Road Denton England

image