Wednesday, February 18, 2015

One of my first more serious pieces of writing…

Carom – September 9, 2004

Frank and Grace are a successful professional couple. They live in posh, North Carolina suburbia. Frank had been a successful screenwriter, until his dreadful accident. After years of constantly readjusting his life, he was trying to make a comeback. Grace is an internationally recognized decorator and Frank's wife, best friend and lover.

They are relaxing by the pool as his story unfolds…

Frank stretches his long muscular arm out to reach for Grace and his chair leans a little too far and Frank falls to the ground. "Oh god", half laughing, "Frank, are you okay", Grace chides. Frank’s face was red with embarrassment. "Damn". "Yes, I’m okay". "Should I call for help"? "No", he snapped, "just give me your hand"! Grace stood and extended her hand, knowing she could offer little help. Fortunately for her, he was still a strong man. He managed to get to his feet and grappled for his chair. "Where’s my cane"? "Here honey". She gives Frank his cane. He places it beside his chair and sits down again. Grace swings her long slender legs over Frank’s chair and softly massages Frank’s muscular arms. "Are you sure you’re ok sweetheart"? Frank takes her hand. "Yes, I think so, thank you". "Hey, I’m sorry I yelled at you". "It wasn’t your fault". Grace kisses his forehead, "it’s ok". "I’m going upstairs now, to get ready for the party". "Fine, I’ll be along in a minute, I want to listen to my speech once more". Frank fumbles for the tape player". I don’t think you have time Frank, guests will be here soon". Grace stands to leave. "Well, just give me a minute". "I’ll be along". Sauntering toward the house she replies, "Okay, don’t drag your feet". He clicks the play button on the tape player. Once Grace reaches their bedroom, she goes to the window to check on Frank. Leaning outside, she urges him to come in. "Frank darling, you need to get with it". "It’s getting late". Frank looks up, "I hear you Grace". "I’m on my way". He reaches for his cane, shuts off the tape player and heads toward the house. Grace listens for the sound of the gold metal tip of his cane tapping on the hardwood floor. Frank stumbles on the stairs before he reaches their bedroom. Grace often had to stop herself from impulsively running to his aid, because he wanted to be as independent as possible. An hour passes.

Frank and Grace are dressed for the party. Frank checks his tie. "This thing is choking me, Grace". "I’m sorry sweetheart, let me see if I can loosen it a little". Grace tries to adjust his bow tie. Frank slips his arms around Grace’s svelte waist. Her warm slender body responds. She smiles and surrenders to his passionate kiss. Then she gently nudges Frank away; "we don’t have time Frank. "Yes we do". "But we’re already dressed". "So, we can dress again". "No", she responds firmly and insists they wait until after the party. He acquiesces.

The doorbell rings. Grace is putting on her earrings, "I’ll get that". "Alright, I’ll be down in a minute". "Oh, give me one last going over"! "Sure". Grace brushes the shoulder of Frank’s jacket. "You look handsome, my darling". "They’re going to love your movie, don’t worry". "Thanks". "Now let me see, are you…?" Frank gently caresses Grace’s shoulders, neck, and firm hips. "Hmmm, everything seems to be in perfect order here". "You know this is as much your night, as mine Grace"! "I mean it"; "I couldn’t have done it without you". Grace gives Frank a final kiss, "well, maybe, but you did all of the work Frank". "I have to get the door, people are waiting". "See you downstairs". "I’m right behind you babe". He shuts off the light, and grabs his cane from the corner. Downstairs Grace greets several guests. Frank walks to his study and sits briefly at his desk. He runs his fingers across the keys of his typewriter. "I hope they like my work". Frank recalls the difficult days spent writing the movie, his first, since the accident that left him blind. It happened Thanksgiving Day...

Several more guests arrive. Suddenly a light rapping sound returns Frank to his room and his typewriter. Grace is standing in the doorway. "Grace?" "Is that you?" "Yes," she whispers. "Sorry. "I was thinking back about the accident". "Is it time"? Many guests have gathered together at the foot of the stairs. "Yes, it’s time darling". Frank sighs. "Is my producer here yet?" "Yes dear, they are all waiting". Grace takes Frank by the arm and together they descend upon the group. As they near the end of the stairs, everyone begins to applaud. With a sigh of relief, Frank managed a big smile, he could finally relax for the first time in months. Grace gently squeezes his arm and whispers, "they love you Frank and so do I". "I’m finally back", he thought to himself. "I’m finally back". The End.©

By Kay Frances Gibbs