Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Three Faces of Eve…

…while in college I drank a bottle of Champagne and kept the bottle, this particular day I was upset and threw the bottle in the sink, then took a piece of the glass and tried to cut myself…I noted before and after the event that I was not emotionally distraught or so upset as to want to hurt myself.  I had taken an English course and Edgar Alan Poe was talked about in the class. 

Cos something's wrong.
- You think so?
- Well, she tried to kill herself last night.
Something's wrong somewhere.
- How did she try to kill herself?
- With a razor blade.
She's feeling awfully low,
and when I got what she had in her mind,
it scared me half to death.
Cos you know, if somebody
didn't stop her, l'd be gone too.
- Go on.
- Well, wasn't anybody else there but me.
So when she went in the bathroom
and she locked the door... Look.
She made one slash and then I got out
and I made her drop the blade and...
I got it and threw it away.
But it was a close call.
- Do you think she meant it?
- I know she meant it.
I wouldn't have meant it.
I might be tryin' to scare somebody
or fool 'em or somethin',
but I wouldn't go that far.
- I understand.
- But she was really levelling.
She really was gonna kill herself
if I hadn't stopped her.
When you said there was
something wrong somewhere,
did you mean something more
than the effort to kill herself?
- I sure did.
- What?
Now l'm havin' blackout spells too.
You mean lapses of time when
you don't remember what's happened?
And let me tell you, it scares me, too.